Monday, April 4, 2011

LEARNING TO BE FRUGAL

Daddy told my husband when he asked for my hand that I was "high maintenance." He wasn't kidding. I like the finer things in life and if it sparkles I like it. When I go into a jewelery store the piece I choose will always be the most expensive thing in the store. However, I did not marry a billionaire and as the economy has changed I've had to learn to economize and change the way I look at things. I've begun couponing and sale shopping and have truly been enjoying it. Just this past Saturday I bought 5 5# bags of Gold Medal flour, 2 pkgs of Crisco shortening (the sticks), 5 1# bags of brown and confectioners sugar, 5 pkgs yeast, 4 Angel Food cake mixes, 4 large bottles of REAL McCormicks vanilla, 2 bags of coconut, 1 lb bag of walnuts, all for $35.00. That's enough baking products to last me the remainder of the year. We have started purchasing from Angel Food Ministries, restaurant quality food at a minimum price. We buy the $41 box and have enough food for us for a couple of weeks.

I'm learning how to bake my own bread, not with a bread machine. I'm cooking at home more, shopping the meat sales, and using coupons to get things at a very low price and stocking up. I'm learning to buy clothing with pieces so I can mix and match with other things, and figuring out I don't need new clothes every season.

I'm also realizing that we need to take heed to what scripture teaches us about the last days. Yes, I firmly believe we are living in the last of the last days. Scripture teaches
Luk 21:9 But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
Luk 21:10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
Luk 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

As things change in our world we need to be prepared. I remember a song from my teenage years that said, "a piece of bread will buy a bag of gold." I don't think we should be afraid, but prepared, like the 10 wise virgins were prepared in the book of Matthew 25:1-12. The wise virgins had oil in their lamps and extra, just in case. The foolish virgins were not prepared and the Lord turned them away.

I know I want to be prepared.

No comments: