Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Garden Center

It was so beautiful here today...high 70's, soft wind, blue skies, lots of sunshine...so we decided to go to the garden center at our local Home Depot. Now I know some of you are still buried in snow and ice thinking winter is going to last forever, but here in Florida it's definitely Spring. My redbud tree has started budding and my Azaleas look like they'll burst into bloom any day. They're filled with pink buds.

Anyway, we went to the garden center and I bought several herbs; rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley, and chives and one tomato plant. I also bought yellow and purple pansies, a daffodil (we have to buy them here, we can't grow them...our ground never gets cold enough for the bulbs, same with tulips), a New Guinea Impatient, and at the Farmer's Market the other night my DH bought me a beautiful coral rose. I'm getting my Spring garden ready to plant.

Now to get the yard cleaned up, leaves raked, old wood cut back on the bourganvilla and mandavilla, plus I need to pull out all the dead coral vine and trim the confederate jasmine before it blooms. Last fall we cut back the trumpet vine and honeysuckle...I thought we'd killed them, but they're back!! I'll have to figure out something for them to climb on or the whole yard will be covered with honeysuckle.

Now I need to find some pretty pots for my herbs. Think I'll check in at Dollar General on Saturday, see what they have.

No comments: